Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY Honey, Nutmeg and Cinnamon Mask

Given the economy nowadays, I'm all for saving money anywhere I can. While perusing through my daily blog-reads a month ago, I stumbled upon this mask for all those DIYers and "natural" lovers. It claimed amazing things, so I obviosuly HAD to try it (it doesn't hurt that I coincedentially had all the ingredients in my kitchen already. I don't know about you, but that NEVER happens to me).



I basically just used equal portions of each. I didn't want any of the "dripping" people reported when using more honey. But really, it's up to you.

So here's the low down on each ingredients and what it can potentially do for your skin.

Honey:
  • helps attract and retain moisture in the skin making it soft and supple
  • a source of anti-oxidants (darker-coloured contain more anti-oxidants than lighter honey) to keep your skin looking young and some sun-protection
  • helps treat/reduce minor acne
  • natural raw honey is best
Cinnamon:

  • Excellent and natural exfoliant
  • antifungal and astringent
  • may be uncomfortable to sensitive skin (test on wrist first)
  • reduces swelling and redness of the skin
Nutmeg:
  • anti-inflammatory
  • reduces scarring (but don't expect miracles)
  • may be uncomfortable to sensitive skin (test on wrist first)
  • reduce infection and swelling and redness
I've been using this mask for over a month now, and honestly, it makes your skin feel amazinggggg!! I love how soft my face feels after washing this off! Like a baby's bottom, I swear! I've been putting this mask on twice a week for 30 minutes, and it has improved the condition of my dry and stressed out skin!

The down side to all this wonderfulness is the mess. Though I mentioned above that using less honey will make it less runny, it is still quite messy. You will definitely have to clean your sink after rinsing all that off your face. It may also stain a white towel or two, so be aware!
Also, as mentioned above, this may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin types (my skin is quite sensitive, but this was fine for me). I did notice a bit of a stinging/burning sensation, but my skin didn't react to it. Remember, cinnamon and nutmeg normally have pretty strong scents to them, which may not work well with everyone.

Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment