Friday, February 25, 2011

REVIEW: Bioderma Hydrabio Crème / Rich Cream

I was previously using Philosophy's Hope In A Jar for dry, sensitive skin as my daily moisturizer. After using up my third one, I felt it was time for a change. With the cold, harsh winters in Canada, it just wasn't cutting it anymore. I noticed I was getting dry patches on skin on my forehead and on my cheeks, so I surfed on the internet for an upgrade.

Bioderma seemed to be the perfect choice. They are a french company that focuses on creating skincare items for all skin types.


Here in Canada, Bioderma can be purchased at Shopper's Drug Mart. To my knowledge, that is the only store. I bought the hydrabio rich cream ($35), but there was also a light version available. The bottle has a pump with 40ml of product. Upon first use, I noticed that contrary to the word "rich," it wasn't thick and creamy like I had expected. It wasn't runny, the consistency is probably similar to your regular lotions found at the drug store. I was doubtful as to whether this would be enough moisture to penetrate the first couple layers of my skin.
I applied the product on my face during the evening, and when I woke up the next morning, I noticed I was developing a slight reaction to where my dry patches were. This wasn't a good sign, but I still used it the moisturize my face in the morning. It got worse throughout the day. I felt pretty discouraged and self-conscious. My forehead and cheeks were an itchy, flaky mess! This is suppose to be for "very dehydrated and sensitive skin!" Still, I pushed through it. I have been using this product for a week, and it has indeed gone away, but the dry patches are still present. It is a nice moisturizer for the winter in general. It's probably more suitable for those with normal or combination skin. It absorbs into the skin right away, so it does not leave the skin feeling greasy. It does have a slight scent that I can only describe as 'typical moisturizer/lotion scent,' which is a little strange since it claims to be for sensitive skin.




The bottom line is that it's not as hydrating as I'd like it to be, BUT moisturizers are only meant to moisturize the first couple layers of the skin. For deeper penetration, I'll probably need to look into getting a serum or switching the a different moisturizer. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Mar 6, 2011. I've switched temporarily to L'Occitane's Immortelle Precious Cream and I noticed a different in my skin the next morning (visually and by feeling). My skin was still being a bit reactive with continued use of the Bioderma, and I was just getting sick of it. I'm going to continue with the L'Occitane until my face is "back to normal," and then perhaps I'll contemplate reverting back to the Bioderma just to see if it'll cause me the same problems.
However, as of this moment, I will NOT be repurchasing this product.

1 comment: