Tuesday, March 8, 2011

REVIEW: Hakuhodo Makeup Brushes (Fude)

Hakuhodo is a japanese brush company based in Japan, but they also have a corporate office in California. This company also makes brushes for Mac Cosmetics, but their own line of brushes blows Mac out of the water!!

Here is a video for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv0FWnQ8lM

I only have 3, and I bought them back in March 2010, but I can definitely attest to how soft these brushes are. Not only that, but my package got lost in the mail for awhile, and the company had great communication. The rep I corresponded with through email always replied in a timely manner (usually the next business day). They genuinely seemed to care and made a conscious effort to track the package down. I chose the shipping without insurance or tracking number, but I would say paying the extra is worth it! I have never been so anxious in my life!

So here are the brushes that I purchased:



S110 ($46) - Goat
A blush brush. It's pretty self explanatory. I photohraphed it next to the Mac 116 since they are pretty similar. I also use this brush for contouring since it's more tapered and less fluffy than the 116. The S110 is a bit longer and significantly softer. The 'S' line brushes are theur flagship line, and I believe the ferrule is 24-carat gold or something like that. So luxurious!!

G527 ($54) - Goat Hair
This is the perfect brush for buffing in foundation to get that airbrushed look! It's incredibly soft and dense. It just works so well. I also use this as a kabuki to blend everything together.


G532 ($27) - Blue Squirrel
The brush head is about the size of a Mac 227 brush, but it is a lot less dense. It's okay for powered eyeshadows (since it's less dense and so soft, it picks up less product). I prefer to use this with cream products. I purchased this thinking it'd be a good backup for that Mac 239. It isn't. It's too large and has less density.

Final Thoughts: I would definitely purchased these brushes again. I'm actually going to eventually replace all my brushes with Hakuhodo. Shedding is minimal, but Hakuhodo recommends you don't wash it everyday anyway if you want to preserve the longevity of the brushes. From what I've researched, the brushes are also made cruelty-free, which is another added bonus. When the package arrives, it comes nicely wrapped in a box. It is literally like receiving a gift!
In terms of pricing, I know a lot of people are saying they are super expensive, but honestly, they are pretty much priced similarily to Mac (some are even cheaper). There is such a huge difference in quality that I would choose Hakuhodo over Mac hands down!
Also, majority of the brushes are short-handled brushes, which is more popular in Asia, but if you prefer long-handled ones, then you have to make that request when ordering.

No comments:

Post a Comment